Summer Sphero CareJune 1, 2022
Putting the T in STEM: Interview with Naomi MeredithJune 15, 2022
Why did the Physics teacher break up with the Biology teacher? There was no Chemistry… We’ve got more STEM resources than dad jokes this Father’s Day. Let’s celebrate the dads who have inspired us, supported us, and shaped us into who we are today.
Our Latest Blog Posts
Father’s Day STEM Gifts You’ll Love
School’s out for the summer, so instead of classroom activities, we are sharing some Father’s Day gift ideas for the science, technology, engineering, and math dads out there:
- You can mimic what we have done and make your own homemade signs for grandpa’s workshop (pictured) using the Glowforge. Draw your own designs, then have the Glowforge scan and laser engrave them!
- One of these many circuit board neckties is a nice, subtle way a dad can get dressed up and represent STEM.
- This computerized telescope is perfect for stargazers and those looking to get into stargazing! (Plus, you can check out some stargazing tips from Dr. Jake in a blog.)
- Dad is probably tired of getting mugs for holiday gifts, but here is a mug that’ll keep him busy! This build-on brick mug is Lego compatible, so he can stay busy building while drinking his morning coffee or tea.
Father’s Day STEM Books
- Papa’s Mechanical Fish by Candace Fleming (Author) & Boris Kulikov (Illustrator)
- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
- What We’ll Build by Oliver Jeffers
- Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share by Ken Denmead
- 101 STEM Jokes by Orion Razat (Author), Treva Primus-Fitts (Editor), & Imani Powell-Razat (Illustrator)
Build a House With Dad
If you don’t have a big oak tree in your backyard to build a treehouse with dad, try building a model clubhouse instead. The Build Smart Clubhouse reinforces all of those same building concepts, plus you get to code it!
STEM Ecosystem Covening – Christine will be attending the STEM Ecosystem Covening this June, from the 22nd to 24th. “The Community of Practice Convenings provides the key platform for a national and regional peer-to-peer professional learning network for communities to share information and expertise. Members of the Community of Practice help shape the agenda for the convenings with access to STEM and cross-sector collaboration experts from across the country.” Register here.
CSTA – The Computer Science Teachers Association Annual Conference is July 14-17 in Chicago, IL. There will be thousands of computer science educators to mingle with! Come see us and our new products in person for the first time! Register here.
STEM Champions to Follow
- TikTok: Sharpthebuilder – One of our favorite STEM dads! When Spencer isn’t posting on our STEM Education Works account, he is posting here.
- Twitter: MakerDads – Makerdads is a model for PK-8 schools to engage families & community through tinkering, making & engineering.
- Instagram: thedadlab – Not a teacher or a scientist, but a dad sharing his fatherhood journey, kids science experiments and crafts ideas.