From Atoms to Astronauts: Must-Read STEM BooksSeptember 5, 2023
Knowledge vs. Experience: What I’ve Learned About the Art of TeachingSeptember 19, 2023
Get ready to experience a whirlwind of excitement as August 16th approaches – National Roller Coaster Day! This annual celebration is all about embracing the heart-pounding world of roller coasters and the joy they bring to thrill-seekers of all ages. As we gear up for this exhilarating occasion, we’re diving into the physics, engineering, and innovation that power these gravity-defying rides.
Our Latest Blog Posts
- Ohio Fifth Graders Flex Their Rocketry Muscles
- Soaring through Obstacles: The Journey of Bessie Coleman
- Leveraging Technology to Enhance Education feat. Dr. Liz Lubeski
Free Thrilling Resources You’ll Love
Find the best ways to interest students about the science of roller coasters:
- Teach students about the g forces on roller coasters with lessons and videos on Newton’s Three Laws from NASA.
- Science Buddies activity – The Chills and Thrills of Roller-Coaster Hills.
- PBS standards-aligned interactive activity – Energy in a Roller Coaster Ride.
- Teach Engineering hands-on activity with standards – Building Roller Coasters
- While you probably can’t get in for free, you can bring your students to the closest theme park to see (and ride) rollercoasters. Find them all here!
Best Books About Roller Coasters
- How to Code a Rollercoaster by Josh Funk (Author) & Sara Palacios (Illustrator)
- How to Design the World’s Best Roller Coaster: In 10 Simple Steps by Paul Mason
- Roller Coaster Science: 50 Wet, Wacky, Wild, Dizzy Experiments about Things Kids Like Best by Jim Wiese
- How a Roller Coaster Is Built (Engineering Our World) by Kate Mikoley
Complete Circuits in AR with MindLabs
Our latest technology comes in the form of MindLabs’ Energy and Circuits Class Set.
Use virtual components to build circuits & complete engineering design projects in augmented reality.
- Interactive, hands-on challenges
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Unique way of learning STEM and circuitry concepts
- Easy set-up and clean-up
Roller Coaster Champions to Follow
- Twitter: @Coaster101 – Coaster101 shares news, photos, and insights about roller coasters, amusement parks, and the engineering behind them.
- Instagram: @ridewithace – Official Instagram of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, dedicated to the preservation, appreciation & enjoyment of roller coasters. 🎢 #RideWithACE
- Twitter: @IAAPAHQ – The International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) shares information about amusement park industry trends, innovations, & educational resources related to roller coasters.